[Loadstone] users guide holex 236
kevins7 at chartermi.net
Wed Sep 13 06:29:44 BST 2006
Bluetooth GPS Receiver
HOLUX Technology Inc.
1F, No. 30, R&D Rd. II, HsinChu City 300, Science-based Industrial Park, Taiwan
TEL: 03-6687000 FAX: 03-6687111
E-Mail: info at holux.com.tw Website: www.holux.com.tw
All Rights Reserved
TABLE OF CONTENTS
2. MAIN FUNCTIONS
3. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
3.1. BASIC SPECIFICATION
3.2. ACQUISITION TIME (AVERAGED)
3.3. RECEIVER ACCURACY
3.4. USE LIMITATION
3.5. POWER SUPPLY
3.6. OUTPUT AND INTERFACE
3.8. OTHER FUNCTIONS
4. GETTING STARTED
4.1. HARDWARE DESCRIPTION
5. OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES
HOLUX GPSlim236 Wireless Bluetooth GPS Receiver Manual
The Holux GPS receiver is a total solution GPS receiver with Bluetooth, UART interface and built-in rechargeable battery for high sensitivity to tracking signal. GPSlim 236 design is based on SiRF Star III low power Architecture.
GPSlim 236 is a dual-function GPS receiver. Not only does it transmit satellite information through the PDA or Notebook with Bluetooth interfaces but it is also a G-Mouse GPS
receiver through a data cable to deliver satellite signal to the device without Bluetooth interface.
This positioning application meets strict needs such as car navigation, mapping, surveying, security, agriculture and so on. Only a clear view of the sky and a power supply are necessary to the unit. GPSlim 236 connects to other devices through a Bluetooth compatible interface, RS-232 or USB, and built-in rechargeable battery to save satellite information such as the status of satellite signal, the last location, date and time of last use.
With low power consumption, the GPSlim 236 tracks up to 20 satellites at a time, re-acquires satellite signals in 100 ms and updates position data every second. Trickle-Power allows the unit to operate at a fraction of the time and Push-to-Fix permits the user to have a quick position fix even though the receiver usually stays off.
2. Main functions
GPSlim236 provides a series of functions. It is well suited to system integration and for users who use a PDA, Notebook PC with a Bluetooth device.
* Built in SiRF Star III Low power consumption chipset.
* 20 parallel satellite-tracking channels for fast acquisition and reacquisition.
* High speed signal acquisition using 200,000 time/frequency search channels.
* Built-in WAAS/EGNOS Demodulator without additional hardware. Or use the high-sensitivity software to get the fast acquisition and reacquisition in the urban, canyon and foliage environments.
* Compatible with Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) completely.
* Low power consumption. Built-in rechargeable and changeable Lithium-ion battery without external power supply, and the working time lasts at least 10
* Provide Continue mode and Power saving mode for user’s requirement.
* Provide expand terminal contact to other system without Bluetooth device.
* Built-in rechargeable battery for memory and RTC backup and for fast Time To First Fix (TTFF).
* Support NMEA0183 v2.2 data protocol and SiRF binary code.
* 4 colors LED to show the status of device.
* Active antenna connector for getting better satellites signal.
* FLASH based program memory. New software revisions upgradeable through serial interface.
* Small, sleek, and lightweight design easily fits in your hand.
* Over-Temperature protection
* Enhanced algorithms -SnapLock and SnapStart provide superior navigation, performance in urban, canyon and foliage environments.
* For Car navigation, Marine navigation, Fleet management, AVL, Personal navigation, Tracking System, and Mapping device application.
3. Technical Specifications
3.1. Basic Specifications
* Chipset: SiRF Star III chipset.
* Channels: 20 parallel satellite-tracking channels.
* Frequency: 1575.42 MHZ.
* Receiver: L1, C/A code.
3.2. Acquisition Time (averaged)
* Reacquisition: 0.1sec.
* Cold start: < 42 seconds.
* Warm start: < 38 seconds .
* Hot start: < 1 seconds
3.3. Receiver Accuracy
* Normal: 5-25 meters CEP without SA.
* Enable EGNOS or WAAS:
Position: < 2.2 meters, horizontal 95% of time
< 5 meters, Vertical 95% of time
* Velocity: within 0.1 meters / second
* Time: 1 microsecond synchronized GPS time
* Altitude: < 18,000 meters (60,000 feet)
* Velocity: < 736 meters/ second (1000Knots)
* Acceleration: 4 G.
* Jerk: 20 meters / second, max
3.5. Power Supply
* External Voltage: 5VDC +/- 10%
Main Power: Built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion for system power.
Backup Power: Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery for memory & RTC backup.
* Working voltage: 75-85mA (Normal mode).
30mA (Power Saving).
* Working period (In Battery full power status):
> 10 hours on Continue mode.
> 16 hours on Power Saving mode.
* Protection circuit on GPSlim236 should stop charging the cell when over-temperature condition --50 occurs.
3.6. Output and Interface
I. Output protocol
Baud Rate: 38400 bps
Data bit: 8
Stop bit: 1
II. Format. NMEA0183 V2.2: GPGGA (1time/1 sec), GPGSA (1 time/5 sec.), GPGSV (1time /5 sec.), GPRMC (1time /1 sec.), GPVTG (1 time/1 sec), (GLL, or SiRF binary format for optional).
III. Datum: WGS84.
* Input/ Output Interface:
I. Compatible Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP), Version1.1 and class 2(up to 10 meter range).
II. In/Out Port. GPS signal (Out)/Command(In) with CMOS/TTL Level - Mini USB Type B Connector and Cable option:
(a) GR230-A1(RS232 data cable)
(b) GR230-A2 (USB data cable)
(c) GR230-A3 (Mini USB port to PS2 port ).
* External Antenna interface:
3.0V input MMCX type active antenna connector
* Size: 46.3 x 67 x 19 mm
* Weight: < 56 g
* Operating Temperature: -10 C to + 60 C (under the non-charging condition);
Charging Temperature 0 C to + 45 C
* Storage Temperature: -20 C to + 85 C
* Operating humidity: 5% to 95% No condensing
3.8. Other Functions
* Bluetooth frequency: 2.4 ~2.48GHZ
* Bluetooth Input Sensitivity: -80dbm
* Low sensitivity of receiving satellite signal : -189 dBW
* External antenna interface: MMCX
* LED Functions: Indicate Bluetooth status, GPS status, Battery Status and Battery charging status
4. Getting Started
STEP 1. Charge Battery
Please charge battery until the LED turns off for the first time.
Power cable plug in Power cable connect to power socket to charge battery
Battery indicator light:
Power too low -------- red LED
Charging -------------- green LED
Full or Not charging -- LED off
STEP 2. Turn on Power
When you turn on GPSlim236 power it will begin to search for a bluetooth device, the blue LED will blink once per second. Once the data is transferring, the blue LED will blink once per 3 seconds. If the receiver needs to reconnect to the bluetooth device, the blue LED will blink once per second.
Note: Some PDAs have to re-open Bluetooth manager for Bluetooth device re-connection.
GPS Status -- Put GPSlim236 in clear view of the sky without any obstruction for better satellite acquisition.
Turn on GPSlim236 Power, you will see a steady orange LED when the receiver is searching for a GPS fix. You will see the orange LED blinking when your position is fixed.
Turn off GPSlim236, note that the orange LED will be off.
4.1. Hardware Description
1). Body description see Fig. 2:
The image of the GPSlim236 receiver is placed diagonally with the Power Jack facing down and to the left. The LEDs from left to right are first the LED for GPS (Orange light),. Second, the Bluetooth LED (Blue light) , and the LED for the Battery (Red or Green light)
The Power Jack is located on the bottom edge in the middle.
2). LED status :
Bluetooth is represented by the color Blue. It's status can be determined by the frequency of the blinking of the blue light. If the blue light is blinking:
* 1 times / 1 sec - Searching for Bluetooth Device
* 1 time / 1 sec - Standby Mode
* 1 time / 3 sec - Transferring Data
The battery is represented by the colors Red and Green. When the light is Red, the Power is too low. When the light is Green the battery is charging. When there is no light, the battery is full or not charging.
GPS is represented by the color orange. If the orange light is on continuously, the receiver is acquiring satellites. If the light is blinking, the receiver has a position fix.
3). Power Switch :
Slide Switch. Up is on and down is off.
4). Optional accessories, and connector description.
1. PC/Notebook USB port connected to a mini USB (which fits the GPSlim236 Power Jack) by a USB Cable (GR230-A2).
2. PC/Notebook RS232 port connected to a mini USB (which fits the GPSlim236 Power Jack) by a RS232 Cable
3. External active antenna connector, see Fig. 5.
Connector type: MMCX.
Active power voltage: 3.0V
4. Power Jack & Data Port, see Fig. 6.
Jack type: 5-pin Mini USB Type B female-
Pin definition see table 1.
Pin 1 - GND - Signal ground, Battery charging ground.
Pin 2 - VOUT - Unregulated voltage out: 3.6 V max 100mA.
Pin 3 - TXD - Transmit Data. From organizer to peripheral.(Voltage Level is 3.3V ~ 5.0V).
Pin 4 - RXD - Receive Data. Form peripheral to organizer.(Voltage level is 3.3V ~ 5.0V).
Pin 5 - VCHARG - Positive terminal of DC adaptor that powers the internal charging circuit of Li-Ion battery. The approved power supply is 5.0V +/- 5 5%@1A.
5. Optional accessories
GPSlim 236 has many accessories to satisfy the customers’ requirement see below. After using GPSlim 236 with the following accessories, it can transmit a message with a PDA or NoteBook easily.
1. GR230-A1 - 1.5M RS232 data cable
2. GR230-A2 - 1.5M USB data cable
3. GR230-A3 - Output convert to GM-210’s PDA Car charger adaptor
4. GR230-B1 - 2M 28db MMCX connector active antenna
The GPSlim 236 is warranted to be free from defects in material and functions for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Any failure of this product within this period under normal conditions will be replaced at no charge to the customer.
* GPSlim 236 has a built-in Li-battery. Please avoid exposing it to high temperature environment or sun shine directly for a long time.
* The user has to return GPSlim 236 to HOLUX if the inner Li battery has to be replaced.
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Statement
You are cautioned that changes or modifications not expressly approved by the part responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
-Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
-Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
-Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
-Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
You are cautioned that changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible
f o r compliance could void your aut h o r i t y t o o p e r a t e t h e e quipment .
FCC RF Radiation Exposure Statement:
the receiver is connected.
This Transmitter must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other
antenna or transmitter.
Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that of the equipment with interference.
AT LEAST IN VIETNAM,
BUSH HAD AN EXIT STRATEGY
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.10.10/419 - Release Date: 8/15/2006
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Loadstone