[Loadstone] Hi Monty, are we using the same program?

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Sat Sep 9 07:23:01 BST 2006

Hello.
It sounds like you need to start at the beginning to get things up and
running so I'll try to explain. You obviously have the program installed and
running on the phone and I assume you have a gps receiver. Loadstone will
work without one but won't be as useful.
When you get loadstone it has no mapping data so you'll want to get some.
The best way to do this is to use the point share site. Depending on where
you are there might be lots of data available or maybe none at all. You can
also enter points either by marking them when you're at the location and
have a gps signal or by entering a point manually. There's documentation on
all this on the site.
Once you have points in the database then you can create routes if you want.
The primary use for a route is to have points announced as you approach. The
route creation guide is a bit brief but correct. A route is the same thing
as a point list. Once you have some points marked then the route mode option
will be available. The menus in loadstone can change depending on the
situation.
As for editing the text files that loadstone exports, you have to be careful
since the program is quite particular about the file format. An exported
database file isn't the same as a point list file.
Loadstone isn't really that hard to use, but like any other program you have
to follow the right procedures to get the desired effect.

Shawn