[Loadstone] gps accuracy

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Tue Oct 31 04:26:09 GMT 2006

There will be drift with any gps receiver. Normal gps accuracy is around 15
meters. This can be improved if your receiver can use waas, then the
accuracy may be around 3 meters. These numbers will vary depending on the
number of satellites the receiver is using, weather conditions and other
factors. When you save a point the more satellites and the lower the
accuracy reading the better. When looking for a point it will double shift.
This usually doesn't work out as bad as it sounds. If you save a point with
a good signal and then have a good signal while looking for it again the
accuracy can be very good. This is just the limits of consumer grade gps. If
you want better you'd need a military grade gps or a very expensive gps
receiver that can use differential gps correction. As the technology
improves accuracy will improve as well. A gps will get you very close to
where you want to be but you'll still need a bit of skill to get to exactly
where you want to be.