[Loadstone] Data Questions and Logging Follow-up Questions

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Mon Oct 30 14:27:52 GMT 2006

The data on the point share site comes from a few sources. The primary
sources are publically available map data, usually made available by
governments. This doesn't seem to happen very much thoe. That's why we only
have street data for Canada and more detailed data for the United states.
The street intercections were calculated from street line segment data. The
other source of data is user uploaded points. This of course will very in
quality depending how well the points were marked.
The problem you're having finding information on other gps program's file
formats is the same problem we have. Normally the mapping data those
programs use is licensed and in order to get access to it you have to pay,
and
pay, and pay some more. The other problem is that even if you can figure out
the file format it might not contain anything that can be used by loadstone.
It  may just be coordinates on an image map.
As for the logging data from loadstone, any program that can make use of the
nmea messages sent by a gps receiver could probably use it if you can figure
out how to get the program to accept the log file. There's no specific
program in mind for this data, it's just a way to see exactly what the gps
receiver is sending to loadstone and when loadstone sends a command to the
receiver what string is being sent.