[Loadstone] Loadstone VS Wayfinder - was: OT: Re: connecting gps receiver for wayfinder

Monty Lilburn monty at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Oct 26 12:20:21 BST 2006

Hello Suzanne,

Hopefully I can help you clear up your confusion regarding Loadstone and
other GPS software packages such as Way finder.

Let me preface by saying that I do not use WayFinder nor have I ever used
it!

A GPS system needs  two components to work.  A GPS receiver and a software
package.  There are many GPS receivers on the market as well as many
software packages.  Every GPS receiver's job is to report its current
location on Earth, and every software package's job is to interpret the
location information from the GPS receiver.  All GPS receivers aren't
compatible with all software packages, and each have many distinguishing
features and functionality that set them apart from each other.

Think of the screen readers JAWS and Window-eyes.  They are both screen
readers that interpret what is on the screen and translate that
information to speech.  Although their primary function is the same, they
each have there own way of reaching that goal.  Different commands,
functions, features Etc.  You can even have them both installed on the
same computer which will work fine as long as you do not try and run both
at the same time!

Well, there are many GPS software packages  as well: Loadstone, Wayfinder,
BrailleNote GPS, Trekker and several others targeted at sighted users.
Each software package does things a little differently, they have
different features/functions, they run on different platforms, they cost
different amounts to own and operate!

To address your questions and statements regarding Loadstone and Wayfinder
specifically:

They both Use Longitude and Latitude information provided by a GPS
receiver.

Wayfinder uses your phone's mobile internet connection (if available) to
retrieve map data that it can reference with the current longitude and
latitude.  Loadstone does not currently use the internet to retrieve data.
Instead, it stores information in  databases saved on your phone that are
used to cross-reference with the current location information from the GPS
receiver.

Loadstone definitely lets you save Points of Interest.  I am not sure what
Wayfinder does or doesn't do in this regard.

Loadstone and Wayfinder do not work together and you would not "sync up"
the two software packages.

You asked about differences.  I'll mention a few but perhaps someone who
has used both packages may be able to correct be or expand.

The main difference between Loadstone and Wayfinder is that Loadstone is
free and open-source whereas Wayfinder and most other GPS software
packages are not!

I understand Wayfinder has a route-planning feature  and Loadstone
currently does not.

Wayfinder relies on you having Internet access on your phone (which can be
costly) and Loadstone does not.

Wayfinder likely has better (more complete) mapping data than Loadstone
though this of course depends where in the world you are using each
product.

I would strongly recommend you read the "Getting Started Manual" located
on the Loadstone web site's Documentation page.

Best regards,
   Monty