[Loadstone] Question about map data.

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Oct 18 11:44:47 BST 2006

Hi Brett,

name,latitude,longitude,accuracy,satellites,priority,userid,id

name: the textual name you give to a point;
latitude,longitude: Decimal coordinates, but as a whole number;
accuracy: Based on the number of satellites, smaller is better (funny), use
0 for a web retrieved point;
satellites: number of satellites when point was recorded, use 0 for a web
retrieved point;
priority: Not yet in use, use 0;
userid: calculated from the name you entered in options/select/misc/user id
(should be your e-mail address.);
id:
unique number generated using current time when point was entered.

Take a look at an exported file and note your user id, that will always be
the same. For each row the id needs to be unique for yourself, as it is
combined with the user id to create the 'real' id. You can take the last id
from your export file and keep adding 1 for each new row.

Decimal format for latitude: (-)(x)xx.xxxxxxx (add 0 until 7 decimal places);
Decimal format for longitude: (-)xx.xxxxxxx (same as above);
Just take out the period for use in the DB file.

Go to:
http://www.heavens-above.com/countries.asp
and select Australia, or try:
http://www.heavens-above.com/selecttown.asp?CountryID=AS&lat=0&lng=0&alt=0&loc=Unspecified&TZ=CET
(this is town search for Australia)
Go to the edit box and enter a* and hit the button. On the next page find
the second table. Depending on the number of places that start with an a
you'll get a max of 200 entries. From the last entry decide where to
continue (maybe ac*). Each time copy the list onto a .txt file with an
appropriate name.

Then write a .php file and use regular expressions to convert the data in
the files to Loadstone-GPS format, or contact me off-list.

Hth,

Rob