[Loadstone] Anyone know a gps that does not have a static threshold?

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Nov 22 17:27:25 GMT 2006

The bt338 and GPSlim236 receivers by Holux are now shipping with Static
Navigation turned off, as far as I know. About 7 months ago, they had SN
on. Some resellers may have had old stock and that's why some of us have
purchased a receiver with SN in the 'car mode'. SN is a feature that can be
turned off by means of a program that is used by developers and
manufacturers called SIRFDEMO. In fact, it's a piece of cake if you can see
and know what you are doing. However, if you rely on a screenreader it's a
'no go'. Basic communication with GPS receivers runs via NMEA messages, but
there's a binary connection that allows for the fine tuning of SiRF3*
chipsets. If you make a mistake in binary mode, e.g. you hit the wrong key
while searching for the right menu, or switch the communication between
your computer and the receiver off at the wrong moment, you're stuck with a
receiver that's not accessible anymore. There's a work-around in that you
take out the battery and wait for 24 hours, until the CMos battery has
died. That resets the receiver back to factory mode and you can have
another go. In short, don't do it if you don't have experience with this
kind of stuff. Then again, if you know someone with good computer skills
and a pair of working eyes, there's your solution. I've got the program
here, and if you are willing to take a risk, just mail me and I'll send it
to you. But don't complain when things go wrong.

The RoyalTec 2001 and 2010 have SN turned off and I also use the Adapt
AD750 that comes with SN off.

Rob