[Loadstone] Question for Shawn

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Wed Nov 22 01:40:29 GMT 2006

The heading announcement is just a display change, nothing about the
calculation logic was changed. The problems you're having, and will continue
to have, are with your receiver having its static navigation feature
switched on. All the program hacks in the world aren't going to fix this.
For things to work correctly loadstone needs the latitude, longitude, speed,
and heading from the gps receiver. With the receiver's static navigation on
half the needed information is dropping out at low speeds.
The checkpoint announcements need a speed value from the gps receiver in
order to work. Without this the checking isn't done. This is because there's
no point doing point checks when you're standing still. The checks could be
done based on latitude/longitude but when you're stationary the gps position
will drift and that drifting can give random false point announcements.
Reducing the max approach distance below 10 meters wouldn't effect this
since that's about the normal accuracy for gps anyway. The max approach
distance setting should not come in to effect in normal opperation anyway.
The phone does the point checks roughly every 5 seconds so reducing the
approach time wouldn't help either. If you have a lot of checkpoints close
together then you probably will get multiple announcements especially if
you're approaching the group at high speed. In that case you may want to
consider unchecking some points or having a different checkpoint list file
for the high speed route.
The chained point mode will be similar to the checkpoint mode but the points
will be announced in the order they're checked. There will have to be some
controls for inserting a point into the list and starting a route and
reversing the route direction etc. All that's still being worked out.
The static threshold setting seems correct. The problem is your static
navigation again. You probably want to have static threshold set to 0.