[Loadstone] Tracking observations

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Wed Nov 15 02:37:12 GMT 2006

The static navigation feature on the holux receivers is a problem. With that
turned on it's almost useless for walking because you don't get accurate
speed or heading data. The checkpoint announcing is tied to this. The checks
are only made if you're moving. If the receiver isn't reporting speed then
the checks aren't done. This will also effect the heading. If the receiver
isn't sending the current heading then the calculations won't be right. The
only way around this is to get that feature turned off. I'd suggest
contacting Holux and demanding an answer. If you still can't get anywhere
then maybe sell the unit and buy another one that doesn't have this problem.
A bit of an extreme solution but a gps receiver that can't be used for
walking probably isn't very useful.
When you hit the up arrow the distance/heading to the next point are
calculated based on the latitude and longitude but not the speed. This may
or may not work propperly depending on the heading value used. If the last
heading value is close to what your actual heading is then this will seem to
work. If your actual heading changes thoe, like turning a corner or
reversing direction, then the calculations may be completely wrong.