[Loadstone] An english help please.

Gabriel Battaglia gabriele.battaglia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:56:00 GMT 2006

Hi everybody.
First of all please accept my apologize because of the following
question which is a little bit of topic.

I need your help to better understand an english expression used by
Loadstone in order to translate it in the best way into my mothertongue
language.

I'm translating LS in italian and at a certain point I was putted in
trouble by the Loadstone's way to say some cardinal points.

To explain this, I need to write an example. We can consider the quarter
of a circle: from 1 degree, to 90 degrees.
In italian we say:
north, north north east, north east, east north east and east.

In english I foudn North, north east, east and some expression which
include the word "by": south west by south for example.
Can someone could explain me what's the meaning of "by" in this case?
Does south west by south is like south south west?

I'm sorry if I was confused, I hope you can understand me the same.

Thanks and greetings from Italy.

GabryB.

Add me to your MSN contact: siddharta33 at hotmail.com
or to your Skype Software using: gabriel_battaglia
    enjoy playing chess on http://gameknot.com, looking for Siddharta33
over there.
Thank you! Live Long and Prosper.