[Loadstone] problems with royaltek rbt2010

Monty Lilburn monty at loadstone-gps.com
Tue Jul 25 20:40:05 BST 2006

Hi Tasha,

I'm glad you were able to obtain a GPS receiver that will really let you
realise the power of Loadstone!

Regarding your signal problem, at this point I would tend to agree with
Shane.  What you should probably do until you get used to your GPS
receiver and what it will and won't do under various conditions, is the
following:

I'll write the following for everyone's benifet in case it can help others
too...

1.  Take your cell phone outside in an area that has an unobstructed view
of the sky.

2.  Launch Loadstone GPS.

   If you haven't previously connected and saved a default GPS then it will
yield a "Not Connected" message after 10 to 20 seconds.  This would be
normal for this situation - especially since your GPS receiver isn't
turned on yet.

3.  Switch on your GPS receiver.

4.  Go into the Loadstone options menu and arrow down to the GPS submenu.

5.  Choose Find GPS.

6.  Hopefully your GPS will appear in this list and you can select it.

7.  Once selected you'll be dropped back into Navigation mode and you'll
likely get the message of "No signal".

Pressing most keys while in navigation mode will give you a message of "No
signal".  Pressing the star key will query the clock on the GPS.  Until
your GPS receiver synchronises with the satellites, the time will not be
accurate.  It'll likely start by giving you a time of 23:59:45 or
something like that and it will incraese every second.  After about 45
seconds or so it should acquire a proper time signal and will give you the
current time in GMT.
8.  If this is the first time you've used your GPS receiver or if it
hasn't been used in a while you may have to wait for several minutes until
you get a proper satellite lock.  Once you get a lock, you'll get a
message
like "Signal acquired, 6 satellites".  The number of satellites will vary.

Then you're good to go!

Regarding saving points, you don't need to query the longitude and
latitude because Loadstone figures this out itself when you are saving a
point.  To save your current location as a point...

While in Navigation mode, press the number sign key, and you will be
prompted to enter a text label into an edit box.  Once you've entered in
your text string, press SoftKey1 and select "save using current@ by
arrowing through the options list.  Then, press select again and save your
point.

You'll then be back in  Navigation mode and you should be able to press
select on your joystick and have the point you just saved appear.  Since
Most GPS recievers with the Sirf star 3 chip set (of which the RBT-2010 is
one) will drift a bit even when standing still so it is normal for the
distaince to your point to fluctuate.

Does that help at all?  Please let us know how you get on!

Good luck,
   Monty