[Loadstone] Unbiassed Opinion

Ari Moisio arimo at netsonic.fi
Mon Jul 24 20:26:47 BST 2006

Hi!

  Here my two (euro)cents about Wayfinder:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Michael O. Hanson wrote:

> First, how do Loadstone and Wayfinder work where there is no cell phone
> coverage.  Finding places where there is no cell phone coverage is not
> difficult at this time.  Since Loadstone uses a GPS receiver, I assume this
> would not be a problem.  I am not so sure about Wayfinder.

  Wayfinder needs gprs coverage when calculating  a route. It might work
without gprs coverage  if users stays on the route and do not  need to
look the map. Not tested, here it is hard to find place without gprs
coverage but with gps coverage.

> Second, how do Loadstone and Wayfinder work with downloadable GPS-enabled
> maps?  I understand Microsoft and other companies make such maps.

  Wayfinder stores map data in centralized server and the server also
calculates  the routes. After calculation route is loaded back to the
phone. If user wants to see map  suitable amount of map data is also
loaded to the phone. Wayfinder cannot directly access other map formats
but user can download some city maps from Wayfinder  site to reduce gprs
traffic. Wayfinder has also  map cache to reduce traffic.

HTH
--
arimo