[Loadstone] Unbiassed Opinion

Monty Lilburn monty at loadstone-gps.com
Mon Jul 24 17:14:08 BST 2006

Hello Michael,

Being on the development team and having worked with Loadstone for the
past two years I can give you my opinion from that point of view, but I
havent used Way finder so I will have to let someone else fill in the
gaps.

To answer your specific questions

1.	How does Loadstone work when there isnt cell phone coverage?

Although Loadstones main function is to facilitate GPS navigation, it can
work without a GPS receiver and track the cellular sites that are on your
mobile network.  If you are out of range then the cellular site tracking
will not work; however, the GPS Navigation will work regardless of
cellular connectivity with the only stipulation being that the GPS
satellites must be functioning and in view of the GPS receiver.

2.	how does Loadstone work with downloadable GPS-enabled maps?

Loadstone cannot use third-party maps from other companies unless they are
in a freely available open format without any licensing restrictions.  It
does however work very well with our PointShare Exchange that contains
street intersection data for all of North America and thousands of points
across Europe and really wherever in the world Loadstone users who have
shared their own map data have used the program.

3.	Does Loadstone work with any phones that double as PDAs?

Loadstone will currently work with any Symbian Series60 (first and second
generation) mobile phone.  Most of the Symbian Series60 phones I have come
across do not double as PDAs though many have functions and features you
would find on a PDA.

What I can basically tell you is that Loadstone is free.  This means if
you already have an accessible cellular phone and a Bluetooth GPS
receiver, then you have nothing to lose from trying it out.  If it meets
your needs then youve just gotten a whole lot more independent without
having to invest in expensive software.  If you need something that
Loadstone currently does not provide then either make a suggestion and see
if it can be added to make Loadstone better, or invest in a product that
will better meet your needs.

If you or anyone else have questions the web site is becoming a better
resource everyday, plus were usually monitoring this list and are more
than happy to help.

Good luck, and hopefully a Wayfinder user can weigh in with their opinion.
In addition, it would be nice to hear from BrailleNOTE GPS users and
Trekker users as well.

Best regards,
   Monty