[Loadstone] Hello everyone and a question about maps

Monty Lilburn monty at loadstone-gps.com
Tue Jul 18 10:21:23 BST 2006

Hi Jim,

Due to pricey licensing restrictions and proprietary file formats,
Loadstone GPS is unable to directly use mapping information from other GPS
packages.  Some other GPS package producers do allow their users who have
created their own points to make them freely available to everyone in an
open format and others do not I'm afraid.

If you have access to map data and it includes latitude and longitude
coordinates that you have access to  then I imagine the only thing
stopping you from entering them into Loadstone or any other file storage
medium is licensing requirements and other related legalities.  I do not
personally own any other GPS navigation products so am unable to advise
further!  Perhaps someone else can?

Currently we have complete intersection/street map point info for Canada
and the US and a large number of useful points for the UK - including all
train stations, airports, and many other shops, pubs, parks, streets,
roads landmarks etc.  As more users share their points, more points will
be available for everyone!  Up until now points  have been collected by
either free sources of map info on the web or by the developers travelling
to other parts of the world.  So yes, if you look at my points you can
tell what countries I have been to over the past few years!

Don't worry about asking questions or making comments, that's what this
list is for!

Good luck with your decision and hopefully you'll find the right product
or combination of products that will work the best for you

If we can be of any further help just ask!

Monty