[Loadstone] Cellular sites, mobile masts and towers

Monty Lilburn monty at loadstone-gps.com
Tue Jul 18 09:52:50 BST 2006

Hello,

For the benefit of everyone...

Mobile networks have several towers strategically placed throughout their
coverage area.  When you switch your mobile on, it searches for the
nearest mobile tower and logs on to the mobile network.  This way the
mobile provider knows where you are and how to route calls to you if
someone rings you or if you want to place an outgoing call.

These towers can be placed anywhere from 500M to 10KM depending on various
factors:

How densely populated the area is

What the physical terrain is for the area

For the above reasons, towers residing in cities tend to be closer
together and rural towers tend to be further apart.  Having lived in both
Canada and now the United Kingdom, I can tell you that the UK tends to
have way more towers much closer together.

Each tower has a unique identification number assigned to it by the mobile
provider.  Loadstone can monitor these towers and can tell you what tower
you are closest to.  Since human beings use words more than long strings
of numbers we've made it possible to assign textual labels to each tower
instead.

You can configure Loadstone to tell you automatically when you enter and
leave cell sites (tower region) and even assign a textual label
automatically based on your current GPS position if you have one.

Using cell sites for positioning is definitely better than nothing if you
do not have a GPS receiver or if you're out and about and your GPS
receiver's battery dies even though the accuracy is quite pour.

Let's say you are on a train and the conductor helpfully announced the
stops (a rare occurrence).  You could get to your stop and immediately
label the current cell site (tower) with a meaningful textual description.
This now means that on other days when you aren't so lucky to have the
stop announced that you could find it yourself.  This also can work for
bus stops in densely populated areas.

Does that description help at all?

Regards,
   Monty