[Loadstone] A new member

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Sun Jul 16 06:54:24 BST 2006

Hello.
I'll try to explain about the map data since this seems to be a common
question so far. At present we don't have maps in the traditional sence.
What we have is a collection of points. For Canada and the united states we
happen to have points for street intercections. Getting this data for Europe
is proving to be a problem. The reason for this is that traditional map data
is very expensive and is licensed under restrictive terms. Since Loadstone
gps is a free project we need the data to be free as well. Some countries
such as Canada and the united states are starting to make data available
freely. This will probably continue with other countries in time but it will
probably take a while. But the more people that use the program and mark
points the better the database will get. When countries make data available
we'll import that as well.
As for the data format, it is specific to Loadstone. This is because other
gps programs don't make there map formats freely available so we can't make
them compatable even thoe we'd very much like to. Our format is just a text
file that you import in to the program.

As for the automatic tracks or bread crumbs feature, I like that idea. I'll
have to look in to implementing that. Do other units do this? If so, how do
they do it? Any ideas on this feature would be appreciated.
This program is still very new and at present there are only two of us
working on the actual code. This means there will be some rough edges but
the more feedback we get from users the sooner those will get worked out.

Shawn