[Loadstone] Data Point Cutting Question

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Thu Dec 28 03:27:49 GMT 2006

Does anybody know how I can get a computer program to cut a file of about
300,000 points down to 15,000 other than cutting nineteen out of every
twenty points by hand?  I believe the file is too large for Microsoft Excel.
I've tried.

These are center points for a 2,000-mile trail.  I've looked at distances
between them.  Cutting the data, I'd get points every 0.3 miles or so.  That
is a reasonable number.  If I leave the file as is, the points would be so
close together that they might overlap.

Next, these points are all center points.  Is there a way to assign each of
them a number, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.?  You get the idea.

Can I ask you to write any explanations in simple English?  I am by no means
a computer expert.

Thank You,

Mike Hanson