[Loadstone] Aproximate Point Location Question

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Wed Dec 27 14:06:06 GMT 2006

As you know, I am setting up a database to hike the Appalachian Trail using
Loadstone.  I don't have data for quite a few points of interest, including
trails, road crossings, water sources, etc.

I have a method for estimating the locations of these points.  I have center
line data for the entire trail.  I have names and latitude and longitude
coordinates for shelters.  I have access to maps with the distances of
points of interest from shelters.  If they are on or relatively close to the
trail itself, I think I can use center line data to estimate locations.  It
will not help with locations of towns and other things off the trail.  If I
can get approximate locations of road crossings, I can figure out ways to
get to off-trail locations.  Does that make sense?

Thank You,

Mike Hanson