[Loadstone] Capturing points of interest

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Sat Dec 16 18:10:32 GMT 2006

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the club.

During my first run with Loadstone I labeled a number of points using 'Save
current' after I had reached the point and stopped to enter it. I'm a slow
phone-typer, so it took me let's say 8 seconds to complete the entry. The
points were in a familiar route. Walking this route several times proved
the points to be accurate within 4 meters. Later I entered the points
again, this time using 'Save from commencement' and found the differences
to be non significant. Again, I walked up to the point, stopped, waited
about 1 second before pressing the hash key and typed in the label. This
was before 'Static Threshold' was implemented. I've got a similar receiver
as you have. Standing still also showed a fair amount of drift after 1
second. Now I have 'Static Threshold' set to 1 km and re-labeling points
seems to be a waste of time, they are where they should be. If , by some
odd circumstances, a point proves to be way out of line, I update it using
'Save using current' which usually does the job. So no need to pass a point
to accurately label it and even with ST set to 0 km it should work fine.

'Save from commencement' comes in handy when on a bus or in a car and
trying to label a point that you pass along the way.

Hth,

Rob