[Loadstone] Capturing points of interest

Paul Hopewell hopewell at hopewell.org.uk
Sat Dec 16 17:14:57 GMT 2006

Hello,
I am a new blind Loadstone user. I received my GPS receiver (a Holux GR236
slim) a couple of days ago and have been trying it out.
I would appreciate advice on the best (most accurate) way to capture points
of interest, which will be mostly named street intersections. the easiest
thing for me to do is to walk to the POI, stop at the POI, press the hash
key on my phone to enter POI details, and then save these using the "save
from commencement" option. However if I do this and while standing at the
POI press the joystick on my phone to locate the nearest POI I notice that
the bearing and distance of the POI I just defined keeps changing, sometimes
by 20 meters or more.
I recall that the Loadstone documentation mentions the need to keep moving
to avoid static drift. I am not clear on whether you only need to keep
moving to capture a sensible bearing, or whether you also need to keep
moving to capture an accurate GPS position. If you only need to keep moving
to capture a sensible bearing then I could presumably set the Loadstone
option "static threshold" to say 2 kph to force Loadstone to remember the
bearing from when I was most recently walking at more than 2 kph. If I need
to keep moving to capture an accurate GPS position then presumably I have to
walk past the POI and as I pass the POI press the hash key to start entering
POI details. Presumably I can then stop and enter the POI details and save
the POI using the "save from commencement" option.
What do you recommend? It is clearly easier to stop at the POI, especially
if I need to locate a POI like a post box which I could miss if I had to
keep moving and press a mobile phone key as I pass the POI.
Many thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Paul Hopewell
hopewell at hopewell.org.uk
www.hopewell.org.uk