[Loadstone] strange gps data

Rusty Perez rustys.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 20:00:54 GMT 2006

Hi folks,
Yesterday as I walked home from work I got some strange gps data.
As I aproach my home I travel primarily south for a quarter of a mile
or more in a relatively straight line. There are some gentle curves
but the direction is gennerally southerly. Home, as I aproach it from
the north, is on the right, or west sime of the street, and there is a
street to my left or east of me and home.
Yesterday I had my gps receiver turned on as I walked. When aproaching
my home I started loadstone so I could know when to ask the dog to
turn.
I should say that before I started loadstone, the dog wanted to make a
right turn. I thought I might have passed it, but figured I'd take the
second turnin.

Well, when I started the program, loadstone said that home was 67 or
so yards at 8:00-. This was odd because if I had passed it, it should
have been on my right so 4:00 or 5:00 would have made sense if home
was behind me. I continued because there is another turn in. As I
proceeded, loadstone continued to tell me that home was behind me at
8:00, but the distances decreased. Then, it told me that home was at
9:00 and maybe 15 or 20 yards away. Well, this would have put it
across the street to my east , and I knew that it was on my right.
So, first of all why would loadstone report that this point was behind
me, if I had been moving steadily in the right direction and hadn't
yet reached or passed the point?
Also, why would it report an incorrect direction.
It is almost as if loadstone thought I was backing up toward my home.
Very strange. Could some one plese explain?

thanks!
Rusty