[Loadstone] Slightly OT: GPS Problem?

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Wed Aug 9 02:40:24 BST 2006

Hello.
I'd better clear this protocol thing up. Loadstone only supports the
nmea0183 protocol. This is a text based protocol that most gps receivers
will speak. There are other protocols as well, sirf and garmin that I know
of. There seems to be a bit of confusion about the sirf protocol and the
sirf chipset. Some receivers are based on either the sirf star ii or sirf
star iii chip. These receivers can speak the sirf protocol or the nmea0183
protocol. They usually default to the nmea0183 protocol but can be switched
to use the sirf protocol by software. There may be some receivers defaulted
to the sirf protocol. You'd have to check your documentation for that. If
your receiver is speaking the sirf protocol then you'd have to set it to use
nmea0183. You can do this using the sirfdemo program or maybe any other
software that may have came with your receiver. Loadstone doesn't try to
switch the protocol for a couple of reasons. The first is that not every gps
receiver is going to be based on a sirf chip. The second is for safety. On
some units, the older holux gr-230 in particular, switching this setting
using the wrong parameters can cause the receiver to stop sending over the
bluetooth link. On a modern receiver this probably isn't a problem but
there's no way to know for sure.
Loadstone may support the sirf protocol at some point but for now you need
to use nmea0183.
When it comes to bluetooth connection problems the protocol the receiver is
using isn't a factor. If the receiver is using the wrong protocol you'd
still be able to connect it but the software wouldn't be able to read any
information from it. Maybe some software would just disconnect in that case.
Loadstone would keep the connection up but not be able to get any
information from the receiver.