[Loadstone] problem

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Wed Aug 2 01:16:41 BST 2006

Hello.
A few things about point importing. Normally the text files to import are in
system/apps/loadstone/importexport but they don't have to be. If they're not
you can navigate to them in the file selection dialog. That may be a bit
tricky depending on where you've put the file.
If you're running a version of loadstone below 0.60 you won't get beeps
during importing. The screen's backlight will turn on every so often thoe.
Upgrade to the latest version and you should get small beeps and the back
light coming on. This happens every 300 lines of file processed. On my
ngage, storing the database on the mmc, the import will pull in 300 lines in
around 30 seconds or so. The speed of this will very depending on your phone
and if you're using the mmc or phone memory. Phone memory is faster but
smaller.
During an import the phone may appear to have locked up. It didn't, it's
just working as hard as it can and doesn't give talks the chance to speak.
Hitting keys probably won't effect the import but they just won't speak.
If you shut the phone off or it dies during an import you'll most likely end
up with a corrupted database. Make sure your phone is charged or just plug
it in and be patient.
If the database does get corrupted loadstone will try to fix it on start but
the phone's database engine is almost useless at this and just tends to
crash the program instead. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about
this. If this happens, open your file explorer, goto
system/apps/loadstone/databases and delete the file called default.
Depending on your phone if it has a file browser it may not let you look at
the system folder. If so, go download fexplorer, use google to find out
where. This program is a much better file browser anyway so is a worth while
download in any case.
When getting point files from the point exchange, pick a reasonable radius.
At the moment we have a lot of data for north america so even a radius as
little as 20 km will bring back around 100000 points. This will also cover
quite a bit of area thoe. Outside north america we don't have as much data
so the radius can be expanded. As the point share database grows this may
change thoe.
If you need a lot of data in the phone but don't want to have it all in the
default database you can split it up in to multiple databases. You can do
this by using the load database option in the file menu. This way you can
have a lot of data on the phone but not slow the program down too much and
only load it when needed.
Hopefully this will help clear up some of the point importing issues.

Shawn