[Loadstone] Learning about GPS

Monty Lilburn monty at loadstone-gps.com
Tue Aug 1 14:07:27 BST 2006

Hi Jeff,

Loadstone does not have maps in the traditional sense but rather it is
based on navigating a collection of related points.  You can think of a
"point" as a "point of interest" or "way point" - they are all the same
thing - it's just that we chose to refer to them as "points".  Primarily
because the word "points" is nice and short and will fit on the phone's
display easier!

We have on our PointShare Exchange points representing every street
intersection in North America and many other useful points of interest and
landmarks.  Together these points do form a map.

You can create points anywhere you like - it's really down to the accuracy
of your Bluetooth GPS receiver.  Most receivers have an accuracy of
between 3 metres and 15 metres (10 feet - 45 feet) so basically most GPS
software and/or devices will get you to the general vicinity of your
created point.  A mailbox might be too precise of an object for you to
exactly pin-point.  A GPS doesn't replace good orientation and mobility
skills, it just augments them!

When using Loadstone, the way to find your closest point is to press
"select" (centre of your joystick) while in Navigation mode.

Every Loadstone key-stroke and function is outlined in the Loadstone GPS
documentation located on the web site:

http://www.loadstone-gps.com

Best regards,
   Monty